Why do I need to learn about web application development?
Desktop applications are very powerful and convenient but their development, deployment and maintenance are daunting. The reason is that the platform dependency makes it very expensive to create a desktop application working on different versions of different operating systems, such as Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. Deployment and updates of desktop application typically require high privileges access to a computer machine, causing a problem for companies requiring high security.
Fortunately, you can overcome these limitations by creating a web application running on a browser. To create a web application you need to learn about web application development.
What can I do after finishing learning web application development?
You will be able to create web applications like The BBC News, The WordPress Blog or The White House Website.
This is just what I want to learn! What should I do now?
After that you will have 4 options. You can choose one of them. We STRONGLY recommend that you choose only ONE option. You should NOT learn all of them at the beginning. You could save your time by digging into only one option. After mastering the selected path, you will realize that all of them are very similar in the sense of use. One note is that although their concepts are similar to one another but they will still take us much time to learn how to apply implementation of an approach in real world solutions.
When developing a real world web application, you often use only one or two of these 4 approaches. If you cannot make your own selection then we recommend you a combination of the first and second option or a combination of the second and third option.
The first option is ASP.NET Core. Please read
- this "Adam Freeman (2017). Pro ASP.NET Core MVC 2. Apress" book or
- this "Dino Esposito (2018). Programming ASP.NET Core. Pearson Education" book.
A complementary part for this option is ASP.NET Web Forms. Please read this "Imar Spaanjaars (2014). Beginning ASP.NET 4.5.1: in C# and VB" book.
The second option is PHP world. Please read
- this Luke Welling and Laura Thomson (2016). PHP and MySQL Web Development. Addison-Wesley Professional book or
After that depending on your projects you can read these books below.
- Brad Williams, David Damstra and Hal Stern (2015). Professional WordPress: Design and Development. Wrox.
The third option is Java world. You will need to read 2 books for this option. Please get this "Cay S. Horstmann (2012). Core Java Volume I--Fundamentals" book and read it if you are not familiar with Java language.
Then please read
- this "Tim Downey (2012). Guide to Web Development with Java: Understanding Website Creation" book or
- this "Nicholas S. Williams (2014). Professional Java for Web Applications" book.
The 4th option is Node world. Please read this
- this "Jonathan Wexler (2019). Get Programming with Node.js. Manning Publications" book, and
- this "Bruno Joseph D'mello et al. (2017). Web Development with MongoDB and Node. Packt Publishing" book.
After that please read
- this Kirupa Chinnathambi (2018). Learning React. Addison-Wesley Professional book, and
- this Robin Wieruch (2020). The Road to React - Your Journey to Master Plain Yet Pragmatic React. Leanpub book to learn how to create a single page application (SPA).
After finishing these books if you want to create sophisticated interactive web applications please read
- this "Kyle Simpson (2015). You Don't Know JS" book.
If you want to convert a web application from one platform to another or create a web application framework please read this "Leon Shklar and Richard Rosen (2009). Web Application Architecture: Principles, Protocols and Practices" book.
After finishing the books please click Topic 8 - Introduction to Mobile Application Development to continue.