- You have a web application the backup of which needs to be created daily.
- You have a web application the content of which needs to be replicated daily.
- You have data folder the content of which needs to be augmented daily.
- Copying files and folders inside one folder to another:
robocopy E:\inetpub\wwwroot\website.domain.com E:\inetpub\wwwroot\backup.domain.com /e
/e Copies subdirectories. This option includes empty directories.
- Moving entire folder to another location:
PS C:\> Move-Item -path \\192.168.1.15\e\inetpub\ -destination E:\ -force
PS C:\> PowerShell.
Moving new files and folders inside one folder to another:
robocopy E:\inetpub\wwwroot\website.domain.com E:\inetpub\wwwroot\archive.domain.com /move /e
/move Moves files and directories, and deletes them from the source after they are copied.
- Copying (mirroring) entire data from one drive to another, including file and folder permissions.
robocopy E:\ G:\ /MIR /COPYALL /ZB /W:1 /R:2 /XO
robocopy E:\ G:\ /TEE /LOG+:F:\robolog.txt /MIR /COPYALL /ZB /W:1 /R:2 /XO
E:\ - Source folder. This can be a UNC path.
G:\ - Destination folder. This can be a UNC path.
/TEE - Display the output of the command in the console window and write it to a log file.
/LOG+:F:\robolog.txt - Write the logs to F:\robolog.txt. The + sign means appending the content to the log file.
/MIR - Copy all files and subfolders, remove files and folders from the destination if they no longer exist on the source.
/COPYALL - Copy all of the NTFS permissions and attributes (security permissions, timestamps, owner info, etc.)
/ZB - Use restartable mode when copying files. If a file is in use, retry after a set amount of time (see /W:1 and /R:2). If access is denied then try to copy in backup mode.
/W:1 - Wait for 1 second between retries when copying files.
/R:2 - The number of retries on failed copies.
/XO - eXclude Older files/folders if the destination file or folder exists and has the same date.
If destination file exists and is the same date or newer than the source - don't bother to overwrite it.
- Augmenting files and folders (making an incremental backup) from one drive to another, including file and folder permissions.
robocopy E:\ G:\ /E /COPYALL /ZB /W:1 /R:2 /XO /XX
robocopy E:\ G:\ /TEE /LOG+:F:\robolog2.txt /E /COPYALL /ZB /W:1 /R:2 /XO /XX
/E - Copy Subfolders, including Empty Subfolders.
/XX - eXclude "eXtra" files and dirs (present in destination but not source). This will prevent any deletions from the destination.
- Granting Full control to a user or group
icacls "E:\inetpub\wwwroot\website.domain.com\App_Data" /grant "IUSR":(OI)(CI)F /T
icacls "E:\inetpub\wwwroot\website.domain.com\App_Data" /grant "IIS_IUSRS":(OI)(CI)F /T
CI Container Inherit - This flag indicates that subordinate containers will inherit this ACE (access control entry).
OI Object Inherit - This flag indicates that subordinate files will inherit the ACE.
OI and CI only apply to new files and sub-folders).
F Full Control
/T Apply recursively to existing files and sub-folders.
- Deleting and creating a folder
rmdir "E:\inetpub\wwwroot\website.domain.com\Temp\" /S /Q
- Recurcively deleting all files in a folder and all files in its sub-folders
del /s *.log
/s delete all the files in the sub-folders.
del /s /f /q *.*
/f force deletion of read-only files.
/q do not ask to confirm when deleting via wildcard.
PS C:\> Move-Item -path \\?\UNC\192.168.101.157\e\NCM4Files\ -destination \\?\E:\ -force
- Removing a drive letter from a volume
mountvol F: /D
/D remove the drive letter from the selected volume.