You want to sell or give away your MacBook. You want to ensure that the new owner will not access any of your data.
You may also have so many buggy applications on your MacBook and want to increase stability and performance of your macOS.
- Create a backup of data in your machine. For photos, you can copy your entire Photo Library to an external hard drive.
- Sign out of iTunes, iCloud, iMessage, App Store.
- Remove Messages account.
- Restart the machine and hold Cmd + R.
- Click the Disk Utility menu item.
- Click the Continue button.
Ignore macOS Base System Disk (it will be removed after a new macOS is installed).
- Click a volume (e.g. Macintosh HD – Data).
- Click the minus (-) button on the tool bar above the Volume label.
- Click the Delete Volume Group button.
- Click the Done button.
- Click a volume (e.g. Container disk2).
- Click the Erase button on the tool bar.
- Set Name = Macintosh HD, Format = APFS.
- Click the Erase button.
APFS, or “Apple File System,” is one of the new features in macOS High Sierra. It’s optimized for solid state drives (SSDs) and other all-flash storage devices.
- Click the Done button.
- Click the red Close icon to close the Disk Utility.
- Click Install macOS (or Reinstall macOS) menu item.
- Click the Continue button and follow the instructions to install a clean macOS.
Post Installation Configuration:
- Go to System Preferences > Trackpad. Select Tap to click.
- Go to Users & Groups. Click on the lock icon. Enter administrative password. Click Login Options. Select an account for Automatic login.
- Go to Energy Saver. Select Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off. Uncheck Put hard disks to sleep when possible.
- Quit Photos. Hold down the Option key and open Photos. Click the Other Library… button and select a backup of your photos. Click the Open button.
- Open Music > Preferences… > Files. Uncheck Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library.
- Go to System Preferences > Sharing. Select File Sharing. Remove all folders under Share Folders. Click the Options… button. Select On for an account under Windows File Sharing. Click Done.
You have a MacBook and you want to use an application that only works on Windows.
- Ensure that your macOS is up-to-date and does not have any issue.
- If you want to reinstall macOS then you can hold down Command+R after powering your machine on.
2. Installing Windows on your MacBook using Boot Camp
- Finder > Shift+Command+u > Boot Camp Assistant
- Select 350Gb (or another appropriate size) for Windows. Use Windows 10 version 1909, April 2020 or Windows 10 version 1709, November 2017.
- Remove unnecessary macOS applications (e.g. Numbers, Pages, Garage Band) if you want to use as much as possible storage for Windows.
- Install Windows 10.
– DO NOT USE Disk Management to create new partitions during Windows installation. Only use Disk Management to format an existing partition when installing Windows.
– During the next boot into OS X, the OSXRESERVED partition is removed and put back into the Core Storage container of the OS X partition.
- Install Boot Camp drivers.
- Boot Camp Control Panel… > TrackPad > Tap to Click.
- Change Computer Name, disable System Protection, enable Remote Desktop, activate Windows.
- Turn on Automatic Logon
Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) >> netplwiz
- Disable Hibernate
Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) >> powercfg.exe /hibernate off
- Power management > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings
>> Hard disk > Turn of hard disk after > Never
>> Sleep > Sleep after > Never
- Adjust System > Display > Brightness and color.
- Uninstall unnecessary apps.
- Use Disk Management to shrink the BOOTCAMP partition and create a new DATA partition. Use 150Gb (153600MB) as the amount of space to shrink.
- Check and install Windows updates.
- Copy portable apps.
- Turn the following Windows features on: ASP.NET 3.5, 4.7, Internet Information Service, Telnet Client
- Install Hyper-V, create an external Virtual Switch for Internet access
- Install Total Commander, Remote Desktop Connection Manager
- Install Firefox
- Install MS SQL Server 2008 R2, MS Office 2007 SP3 (Display >> Scale and layout: 175%), MS Project 2016, MS Visio 2016, Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 2015, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC v15.8, Adobe Photoshop CC 2015, TortoiseSVN 1.11.1
- Install Python 3.6.8, TensorFlow, Keras
3. Removing Windows from your MacBook using Boot Camp
- Delete all Windows Data partitions, then Extend the Boot Camp volume (C:\) using Windows Disk Management.
- Finder > Shift+Command+u > Boot Camp Assistant > Continue > Restore
- If you get any problem with Boot Camp Assistant then delete Windows Boot Camp partition using Disk Utility: Finder > Shift+Command+u > Disk Utility > Partition.
- If you get a “Ghost” partition after deleting Windows Boot Camp partition using Disk Utility then please use the following procedure to remove it:
Execute below command:
Find EFI IDENTIFIER (e.g. disk0s1).
Execute 2 below commands:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/efi
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi
Navigate to /Volumes/efi/EFI. Delete all directories (i.e. Microsoft and Boot) except the APPLE directory.
Execute below command:
diskutil unmount /Volumes/efi